Book your visit
To book or for more information, please call 0208 291 8686 or email email@example.com and have the following information ready:
- Whether you would like to book a taught Museum workshops or a self-guided visit the Gardens and Galleries
- Which workshop you would like to book (if applicable)
- Possible date/s for your visit
- The year group and approximate numbers of pupils/adults for each class
- If you would like to book (paid) tickets to our aquarium or temporary exhibition.
We are open for school visits 10am – 5.30pm, Monday to Friday during term time. The Museum is closed on Wednesdays but the Gardens are open for visits.
Free entry slots to the Museum’s permanent Galleries and/or Gardens must be booked in advance.
Unfortunately, we cannot offer a bookable lunch space for classes visiting without a taught workshop.
Aquarium, Butterfly House and temporary exhibition
Please note that due to restrictions on capacity we cannot currently offer entry for schools to the Butterfly House.
We offer reduced-price school tickets our aquarium and temporary exhibitions:
- Aquarium £1.50 (including VAT)
- Monkey Business £3 (including VAT)
- Aquarium and Monkey Business combo £4 (including VAT)
Charges apply to children aged 3 years and over, and all accompanying teachers and adults unless they are 1:1 carers.
Tickets are timed and must be booked in advance.
Reduced admission is not available at weekends or during school holidays.
We are unable to offer classes exclusive access to paid areas of the museum; members of the public and other school groups may also be present during your visit.
We offer a programme of workshops for home educated children, please visit Home Education for further information and to join our Home Educators emailing list.
We offer the reduced education rate for home educating groups who wish to visit the charged-for areas of the Museum. This must be booked in advance through the Schools Team.
Pre visit preparation
Look at our different curriculum-linked Schools Resources in advance to make sure you get the most out of your visit. Download them or create your own resources using different topic images and text.
When you arrive in the Museum
If you have booked a workshop
- Please check your booking information for arrival instructions and timings.
- You may need to wait a short while on arrival for space to be available to accommodate your group in our Education Centre.
- A Learning Assistant will meet and brief you about your visit.
- Your class will be given access to schools toilets and cloakroom facilities where you can leave bags and coats.
If you are self led visitors
- You will be allocated a timed Museum entrance slot.
- When you arrive please speak to the member of Horniman staff greeting groups in the foyer.
- If you have booked entrance tickets for the Aquarium or temporary exhibition please collect your entrance tickets.
- Please choose a meeting point for your group outside the Museum to avoid overcrowding in the Museum.
- The Horniman is a public place so please remind students to respect other visitors, exhibits and staff. For health and safety reasons you must accompany and actively supervise your students at all times.
Cloakroom facilities, lunch and shop
Schools who have booked museum workshops have access to a lunch room, coat and bag storage and separate schools toilets.
Groups without a taught session are welcome to eat in the Gardens or Dutch Barn building. Eating is not permitted inside the Museum.
Please do not use the Café tables for picnicking as these are required for those purchasing food from the Cafe. In the winter months there is an additional temporary covered area for self-led lunches available near the Conservatory.
Please use the toilets located in Gallery Square or the toilets at the top of the Avenue in the Gardens.
Please do not eat in the Museum as food attracts pests that damage our collections.
Our shop stocks small ‘pocket money’ items for pupils who wish to purchase souvenirs.
Please send pupils into the shop in small groups of five with an adult supervisor.
If arriving by coach or minibus there is a red route drop-off coach bay outside the Museum on London Road
There is no parking available on or off site for coaches.
Limited parking space onsite is available for those who require close access to the main entrance e.g. wheelchair users. We are unable to reserve parking spaces however we can still arrange onsite drop0off and collection if spaces are unavailable on the day.
Access is through the Horniman Drive gates only – see the map.
Horniman Museum & Gardens
London SE23 3PQ