Bring the Horniman to your school with our new virtual learning sessions. Our Learning Officers can beam into your classroom via the internet. Our sessions are fun, interactive and curriculum-linked.
Ancient Benin (KS2)
An exciting opportunity to explore stunning brass replicas of ancient Benin artwork up close. Learn about the modern and ancient history of Benin City through the artwork of the Edo people. Explore the symbolism and significance of Benin Bronzes, the stories that they tell, and debate their place in UK museums today.
Ancient Egypt (KS2+)
Explore ancient Egyptian religion and think like Egyptologists in this interactive session. Working as a whole class and in small groups, pupils will explore ‘mystery’ ancient Egyptian objects and discover their connection to mummification and the afterlife. There will also be time for Q&A and the opportunity to see some of our ancient Egyptian collection up close.
Rainforest People and Animals (KS2+)
Immerse yourself in the rainforest habitat, learn about life in the rainforest and the people and animals that live there. Working as a whole class and in small groups, pupils will discover the importance of rainforests, the threats to their existence and consider the consequences locally and globally. There will be the opportunity to see some of our collection of Wai Wai objects up close.
Bones and Teeth (KS2)
Bring your Science topic to life by exploring how different animal skeletons and teeth have evolved to adapt to different ways of moving, different diets and lifestyles. Pupils explore different types of dentition and their function through close observation of a range of animal skulls and we compare a range of bones and skeletons.
Learning at the Horniman (HE, CPD)
Discover how the Horniman uses object-based learning and enquiry led approaches to facilitate a huge range of learning audiences. Try out visual exploration techniques yourself using our objects, and enjoy a virtual tour of our incredible Hands on Base. This session is particularly suitable for HE or CPD groups studying learning or museums, but can be tailored to your topic – please contact us to discuss.
- Virtual sessions last 1 hour. For some topics we offer an optional extended 1½-2-hour version which includes more guided classroom activities and discussion.
- Each session is accompanied by a Teacher Pack which outlines how the session will run and includes resources to print and suggested extension activities.
- £72.50 (£87.00 inc VAT) per session. We offer a bursary to support eligible schools.
- Sessions are run on Zoom or MS Teams. If these platforms are not accessible to you, please contact us to discuss alternatives.
- We can accommodate up to 3 classes simultaneously.
- We recommend that schools have their microphone and camera off during the session and use the chat function to communicate with Learning Officers. We can however work with microphone and/or camera on should you prefer this.
- An Online Safety Policy Statement will be sent to you upon booking your session and includes an agreement for you to sign.
- The Museum’s full Safeguarding Policy is available upon request.
We’re offering a small number of outreach sessions for local schools, please contact email@example.com