Update: The Butterfly House is currently closed and will remain so while we undergo important maintenance work. Refunds will be issued to ticket holders. We apologise for any inconvenience.
The specially-planted habitat is the perfect place to experience butterflies free-flying all around you and to discover amazing facts about the life-cycle and behaviour of these fascinating creatures.
We encourage you to wear face covering unless you have a good reason not to.
Tickets and Entry
To control capacity in the Butterfly House, all visitors, including Members, must book a ticket in advance online for admission to the Butterfly House.
Tickets for the Butterfly House are separate to those for the Museum, and you do not need an entry ticket to the Museum to purchase a ticket for the Butterfly House.
Children under three may visit free of charge, and carers accompanying visitors with access requirements get free admission, but you must book into a timeslot. A family ticket is for two adults and two children aged 3-16 years.
Horniman Members and Benefactors go free, but must book your Member or Benefactor ticket online in advance for a specific time slot. You will need to show your Membership or Benefactor card on entrance.
- The conditions of your Membership apply to Member tickets. For example, with the Family Member ticket you can book up to five places, for up to two adults and three children.
- Please arrive as close to the start of your time-slot as possible.
- You must show your tickets on a mobile or tablet, or a printed version, at the entrance to the Butterfly House. We will do our best to admit you as quickly as possible but you may still need to queue outside.
- Tickets will be regularly released so please check the website for availability and updates.
There is space for buggies in our designated buggy park outside the Butterfly House, no buggies are allowed in the space.
Safety and cleaning
We encourage you to wear a face covering unless you have a good reason not to.
- If you are feeling unwell, please do not visit and follow NHS guidance.
- Additional cleaning of doors and touch points will take place regularly throughout the day using products that are safe for the butterflies.
- Our team will wear face coverings and we are doing everything we can to keep you safe. Thank you for being kind and patient at this time.
- Please follow social distancing guidelines throughout your visit, including when speaking to our staff.
Test & Trace
You can continue to check in to the Butterfly House using NHS Test & Trace.
Your details collected by the NHS app are not accessible to the Horniman.
Advice for enjoying your visit
- Please be aware that the butterflies may land on you, on the path or close to you, as they are free-flying.
- Please do not touch any caterpillars or plants during your visit.
- You are not allowed to eat or drink inside the Butterfly House, as it may attract butterflies to you – this increases the chance of them leaving with you! It can also attract more harmful pests.
- Please make sure you take care to watch where you step, so as not to crush the butterflies.
- Please do not try to remove them from your clothing, as they are very delicate and may die in the process. Ask a member of staff if you need assistance.
- Please close any bags and pockets (if possible) before entering, as you may discover a butterfly has hidden inside when you get home.
- Please note that pets are not allowed into the Butterfly House, but Guide Dogs or other assistance animals are welcome.
- When you are about to leave, please check your clothes for any butterflies that may have landed on you. We have mirrors by the exit so that you can check your back too.
- There is no fixed seating available inside the Butterfly House, but please ask staff for foldable stools if you’d like to rest for a while.
- You are welcome to take photographs with hand-held cameras. Please refer to our guidance on filming and photography in our Plan Your Visit pages for further details. Please be mindful of other visitors and social distancing guidelines when taking photographs.
The Butterfly House shop will not be in operation.
Hugely recommend the new Butterfly House at Horniman Museum in south London - great learning place for kids in summer hols & very warm!