Please note: The Butterfly House will only be accessible to Big Fish Little Fish family rave ticket holders on Sunday 24 July 2022.
The specially-planted habitat is the perfect place to experience butterflies free-flying all around you and to discover amazing facts about the life-cycle and behaviour of these fascinating creatures.
We encourage you to wear face covering unless you have a good reason not to.
Tickets and Entry
- All visitors, including Members, must have tickets for admission to the Butterfly House – we recommend booking in advance to avoid disappointment. Members and Benefactors must log in to your account to access free tickets online.
- Please book a ticket for every member of your party. Discounts for family group bookings will automatically be applied to your basket. A family of 4 ticket is for up to two adults, and a Family of 3 ticket is one adult. Child tickets are for those aged 3-16 years. Children aged under 3s are free.
- There is space for buggies in our designated buggy park outside the Butterfly House. No buggies are allowed in the space.
- Tickets are for single entry only.
- Gift Aid prices include an additional voluntary donation of at least 10% to help support the Horniman.
- We have lots more information to help you plan your visit to the Horniman.
Advice for enjoying your visit
- Please be aware that the butterflies may land on you, on the path or close to you, as they are free-flying.
- Please do not touch any caterpillars or plants during your visit.
- You are not allowed to eat or drink inside the Butterfly House, as it may attract butterflies to you – this increases the chance of them leaving with you! It can also attract more harmful pests.
- Please make sure you take care to watch where you step, so as not to crush the butterflies.
- Please do not try to remove them from your clothing, as they are very delicate and may die in the process. Ask a member of staff if you need assistance.
- Please close any bags and pockets (if possible) before entering, as you may discover a butterfly has hidden inside when you get home.
- Please note that pets are not allowed into the Butterfly House, but Guide Dogs or other assistance animals are welcome.
- When you are about to leave, please check your clothes for any butterflies that may have landed on you. We have mirrors by the exit so that you can check your back too.
- There is no fixed seating available inside the Butterfly House, but please ask staff for foldable stools if you’d like to rest for a while.
- You are welcome to take photographs with hand-held cameras. Please refer to our guidance on filming and photography in our Plan Your Visit pages for further details. Please be mindful of other visitors and social distancing guidelines when taking photographs.
Hugely recommend the new Butterfly House at Horniman Museum in south London - great learning place for kids in summer hols & very warm!